Thursday, December 17, 2009

Sinus surgery.

Here we are, one week out of surgery. I haven't felt like blogging much, appologies.

Anyway, my dad came to take me to the surgery and help me out (hurray for dad!). We got up way before the ass crack of dawn on Friday to go to the hospital. Got checked in and went back to pre-op. I got changed, peed in a cup for a pregnancy test, and got asked about 4000 questions. They stuck a nausea patch on me, and that was great!! I left it on for 3 days and never once got nauseaus! I am asking for that again if I ever need another surgery. It was also really nice to have my port! NO IV!!

I woke up and my lungs were pretty rattley, but the stuff was nice and thin (thank you antibiotics) and easy to move. I had an oxygen mask on, which is good, I always drop my sats when I'm out for surgery. I had splints in each nostril so my nose felt really packed and dry, not painful but uncomfortable. After they made sure I was doing ok and I went to the bathroom I was able to go home. Dad and I were home by noon, he called mom to tell her everything went fine. I parked in my comfy chair and dozed for a bit. I had a little bit of bleeding, but not too bad.

For the week nothing special happened. I would rinse my sinuses several times a day. I felt pretty crappy though. I couldn't breathe through my nose, smell anything, could hardly taste anything, my nose was constantly drippy, and I slept like crap because I had to breathe through my nose and my mouth would get SO dry. It was pretty miserable. But today I went and the splints taken out. That was horrible. They were held in with a stitch in my septum and it hurt like hell when the doctor cut it and pulled it out. Then he started yanking on these things. OUCH! I made the mistake of opening my eyes right when the first one came out. It was HUGE and covered with snot. Way gross. Then he pulled the other one out, suctioned my nose, and started telling me what to do for the next week or so. Then I started to feel like I was going to pass out. Very nauseaus, dizzy, and sweating like a pig. The doc laid me back, got me a cool towel and a drink of water. I was there for about 20 minutes and most of it was me trying not to pass out. So that SUCKED.

I do feel MUCH better now though. I can breathe through my nose, smell, eating is a lot more fun. I took a nap when I got home and didn't wake up with my mouth dried out!!! It felt so good to sleep good for 4 hours! Overall I guess I'm glad I did the surgery because I am moving more air through my nose, but I really hope I never need another sinus surgery!

1 comment:

rageagainstthebeans said...

guessing you had traditional sinus surgery? did balloon sinuplasty come up as an option? trying to decide between the two. the recovery from traditional sounds rough but because balloon treatment is newer there's not much long term history.

thanks if you have anything.