Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bad Froggy!

Ok, so I know that I haven't blogged in 6 months, BAD GIRL! Sorry 'bout that. Its just that things have been stressful and I just didn't feel like talking about it. Most of the cause of this stress is directly related to money and the fact that I have none.

Anyway, let me update you all on the health stuff.

I started treatment for my MAC in early March. So far so good. I take 1000mg of ethambutol a day, that's a very strong antibiotic normally used to treat TB. I also take 250mg of azithromycin, a good broad spectrum antibiotics. Then there is inhaled amikacin 3 times a week. Not a bad regemin at all. I just had sputum cultures taken a couple of weeks ago so I am just waiting for those to grow out and see if there are still MAC buggies in there.

I am feeling much better since starting the MAC therapy and I haven't had to go back on IV antibiotics since I finished at the end of January. YAY! My energy level and appetite are up from 3 months ago, my lungs feel clearer and I don't get short of breath so much.

I have been struggling a bit with my blood sugars. Since the begining of the year I have needed less and less insulin and its become a lot harder to manage things. I keep taking too much insulin and then chasing lows all the time. So, today I saw the NP at the diabetes clinic who works with a lot of CFRD patients. She is trying me out on some long acting insulin to see how I do. This will hopefully make it easier to keep my blood sugar stable and reduce the amount of fast acting insulin I am taking so that I won't have so many lows. We'll see what happens. I am also scheduled for a 3 day blood sugar sensor test in August. This will show how this new plan works and what might need to be changed.

So that's about it I think. I'm broke but my health issues seem to be looking up. I promise to try and do a better job of blogging.

No comments: